Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Who is an Entrepreneur?

Thats a tough question... very tough. I would not venture to claim that I am a natural entrepreneur. But ever since I can remember, I have had this undying desire and passion to create something that I can call my own. It is this desire, the inner voice that keeps telling me to break open the shackles that has led me to take this extreme step!

Well, no, I am not talking about jumping off a cliff, though i must admit, the feeling would be quite similar. (frankly, I wouldn't know. I have never jumped off a stationary bus, let alone a cliff!!)

So, who is an entrepreneur? I would think it is anyone who takes an idea, synthesizes it, gives it a form and sells it.

By that definition, even innovators in big companies who rally the management to fund their pet project that they believe will add value to the companies customers is an entrepreneur. In these companies ,the role of a VC is taken up by the management. They will be putting up the $$ required on the table, they will be expecting the team to perform and come up with a winning solution.

Having said this, I, personally, do not think we can call them entrepreneurs. Why? Because they are working for their company, they are employees. In most cases, employees do not have much to lose. The worst that can happen is at the end of the project, it gets shelved due to non-viability. And maybe, just maybe, the employee gets fired. But I do not think modern companies work that way. Most modern companies cherish innovators because they know that 1 in 3 ideas will be a hit.

Oh, but I'm rambling on. I believe entrepreneurs need to take lot more risk (and responsibility). Entrepreneurship is all about creating opportunities and value where it did not exist. It is about bringing together a diverse set of people to work together for a common task. Its about garnering resources and applying it in the most judicious way in order to maximise value and revenue. It is about leadership. It is about struggle. It is about holding your head high in the face of defeat. It is about listening to naysayers, taking the best from them and moving on. It is about having and keeping a positive attitude to life as a whole.

In short, an entrepreneur is all this and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment